Simple spinach dhal, 220 kcal, 24p a portion
Simple Spinach Dhal - 220kcal, 24p per portion
- 1 tsp oil -1p
- 1 large onion, chopped - 10p
- 1 tsp crushed ginger - 3p
- 2 tbsp curry powder (I used Madras) - 10p
- 100 g red lentils - 15p
- We've taken to have vegan curries once or twice a week now. Not only are they super cheap. They are delicious, low in calories and packed full of the good stuff. I've put below the basics of my favourite dhal recipe, but I quite often add a couple of chopped tomatoes, or some lime juice, or a bit of chilli, to give it some extra zing.
It's still quite grey and drizzly here, so this is perfect to warm us up after a long day at work.
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic - 3p
- 100g Pure Creamed Coconut - 30p (I buy when on offer for 60p a block)
- 2 tsps Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder (or two stock cubes) - 6p
- 100 g, Frozen Leaf Spinach - 15p
- Fry the onion in the oil until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and fry for two more minutes.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins. Add salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste.
- At this point you could add some chopped fresh tomatoes, some coriander, lime juice, chilli, or anything else you fancy, just to ring the changes.
- Serve with rice/naan/chapattis...or eat from the bowl with a spoon!
I've put the nutrition facts that myfitnesspal provides me. They're a rough guide, to help those calorie counting, like me, but probably not entirely accurate!